- Advertising Aerospace Agriculture Animals/Pets Automotive Biotech Boating Business / economics Chemistry Cities and provinces Comics Computer hardware Computers Construction Countryside Culture and art
- Decoration Education Electronics Energy Engineering Environment and nature Family Finance Food and Beverages Forest and Wood Gardening Government Handicraft Homeland Insurance International
- Legal Leisure Lifestyle Logistics Manufacturing Marketing Media Medical Metal industry and Metallurgy Military Music and Entertainment Non-profit Paper industry Photography Politics Publishing
- Real estate Religion Retail Science Security Site News Social services Software Sport / leisure Sports Telecommunications Topstory Tourism Working life
SanDisk® Enhances FlashSoft Caching Software Portfolio & Introduces New Bundled Solutions for Enterprise Data Centers
Published: 01-Apr-2015 09:14 am
Milpitas, Calif., March 31, 2015 – SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a global leader in flash storage solutions, today announced immediate availability of the newest version of its FlashSoft® server-side, solid state caching software, which provides several notable performance, usability and compatibility improvements for Windows®, Linux® and VMware® environments. In making today’s announcement, SanDisk also unveiled that its FlashSoft caching software will be available in new bundled offerings that package the software with SanDisk’s array of enterprise flash hardware solutions, including the Fusion ioMemory™ PCIe application accelerators, the Optimus Ascend™ SAS solid-state drive (SSD), and the CloudSpeed Ascend™SATA SSD. These new offerings provide an easy-to-implement solution that empowers customers to select the flash storage capacity and performance that best meet their data center needs.
"We have built our enterprise flash business to offer the broadest range of storage acceleration solutions to address customers’ changing needs,” said Ravi Swaminathan, vice president and general manager, Systems and Software Solutions, SanDisk. “The new hardware-software bundles offer the best of both our hardware and software portfolios in a single solution. We are excited to be able to offer customers a complete solution that provides the performance and cost benefits of flash technology, while at the same time making it easier for our channel partners to support their customers."
A recent Gartner report indicates that "input/output (I/O) optimization software alleviates the "I/O blender" problem that often plagues dense virtual machine environments and notes that these solutions can be an inexpensive and non-disruptive way to boost application performance."1. FlashSoft software does that and more. It reduces I/O latency in VMware vSphere®, Windows Server®and Linux® environments through the use of server-side, flash-based storage caching, which helps increase application performance in both virtualized and non-virtualized computing environments. By utilizing server-attached flash storage as an intermediate cache for an application’s most frequently accessed data, or "hot data," FlashSoft software enables that data to be read and written more efficiently. The software assigns hot data to the solid-state cache, increasing performance while reducing storage area network (SAN) overhead. This prolongs the useful life of current server and storage systems and delivers greater computing power, which increases customers’ return on investment (ROI), while reducing the total cost of ownership (TCO) for their data center.
FlashSoft deployments have shown that server-side solid-state caching provides substantial performance benefits to enterprise applications, such as online transaction processing (OLTP) workloads, online analytical processing (OLAP) applications and high performance computing (HPC). Most typical line-of-business applications—such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SharePoint and applications based on databases, including MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and Oracle—will also see significant performance increases through the use of the FlashSoft software. Performance tests conducted by SanDisk using an industry-standard benchmark, showed that the new version of FlashSoft software increases application performance by over 14X compared to a baseline storage array comprised of HDDs. Storage latency was also significantly decreased, with application response times improving by more than 22X2.
The latest version of FlashSoft software includes a number of enhancements that help improve performance, compatibility and usability for Windows, VMware and Linux environments, including:
- Improved support for Microsoft Hyper-V with Clustered Shared Volumes (CSV) to provide caching for Hyper-V hosts sharing storage volumes.
- Native support for hard disk drive and SSDs formatted with 4K sector size as well as 512K.
- Certification by VMware as a Partner Verified & Supported Product (PVSP), providing customers with peace of mind that their software investment will have continued support and compatibility with VMware vSphere as new patches and updates are released.
- Broad support for Red Hat® Enterprise Linux (RHEL) & SUSE kernels.
- Native support for HDDs and SSDs formatted with 4K sector size as well as 512K.
"SanDisk is an expert in solid-state storage and flash technology with a decades-long history of delivering innovation in this market,” said Al Bibergall, senior vice president sales, Sayers Technologies. “We’re excited to partner with SanDisk to deliver solid-state server-side caching that enables all the benefits of flash in an easy to acquire, easy to support and easy to adopt package."
Packaging Software & Hardware Together to Increase Customer Value
SanDisk’s new Cache Device Bundles combine its caching software with its PCIe application accelerators and SAS and SATA SSDs to give customers the broadest range of server-side, solid state caching options from a single vendor. The new bundles deliver the benefits of flash hardware and caching software in a single solution that is easy to evaluate, deploy and support, regardless of storage operating systems or architectures. The new offerings include:
Windows Server Offerings:
- FlashSoft for Windows with Fusion ioMemory PCIe application accelerators
- FlashSoft for Windows with Optimus Ascend SAS SSDs for stand-alone Windows Servers or Hyper-V implementations
- FlashSoft for Windows with CloudSpeed Ascend SATA SSDs
VMware vSphere Offerings:
- FlashSoft for VMware vSphere with Fusion ioMemory PCIe application accelerators
- FlashSoft for VMware vSphere with Optimus 2 Ascend SAS SSDs
- FlashSoft for VMware vSphere with CloudSpeed Ascend SATA SSDs
- FlashSoft for Linux with Fusion ioMemory PCIe application accelerators
- FlashSoft for Linux with Optimus Ascend SAS SSDs
- FlashSoft for Linux with CloudSpeed Ascend SATA SSDs
1 Gartner, "Technology Overview for IO Optimization Software," March 18, 2015.
2 Based on internal testing conducted by SanDisk using the FIO.exe benchmark. Full configuration details and measured results are on record.
The new FlashSoft software and SanDisk Cache Device Bundles are available for purchase now from SanDisk and its enterprise channel partners. For more information about the new FlashSoft software and SanDisk’s Cache Device Bundles visit http://bigdataflash.sandisk.com/flashsoft or the SanDisk IT Blog.
SanDisk Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK), a Fortune 500 and S&P 500 company, is a global leader in flash storage solutions. For more than 25 years, SanDisk has expanded the possibilities of storage, providing trusted and innovative products that have transformed the electronics industry. Today, SanDisk’s quality, state-of-the-art solutions are at the heart of many of the world's largest data centers, and embedded in advanced smart phones, tablets and PCs. SanDisk’s consumer products are available at hundreds of thousands of retail stores worldwide. For more information, visit www.sandisk.com.
Other releases of publisher
- 04.08.2015 10:08SanDisk Announces World’s First 256 Gigabit 3-bit-per-cell (X3) 48-layer 3D NAND Chip; Operations Begin for 3D NAND Pilot Line
- 24.07.2015 10:45SanDisk Announces Second Quarter 2015 Results
- 14.07.2015 09:53SanDisk Ships its Two Billionth microSD™ card as Technology Marks 10-year Anniversary