- Advertising Aerospace Agriculture Animals/Pets Automotive Biotech Boating Business / economics Chemistry Cities and provinces Comics Computer hardware Computers Construction Countryside Culture and art
- Decoration Education Electronics Energy Engineering Environment and nature Family Finance Food and Beverages Forest and Wood Gardening Government Handicraft Homeland Insurance International
- Legal Leisure Lifestyle Logistics Manufacturing Marketing Media Medical Metal industry and Metallurgy Military Music and Entertainment Non-profit Paper industry Photography Politics Publishing
- Real estate Religion Retail Science Security Site News Social services Software Sport / leisure Sports Telecommunications Topstory Tourism Working life
QATAR AIRWAYS HOSTS ORBIS ‘FLYING EYE HOSPITAL’ IN DOHA
Published: 23-Mar-2017 08:40 am
Publisher: Qatar Airways
The “hospital with wings” lands in Doha as part of a tour to raise awareness about preventable blindness
Flying Eye Hospital to promote Qatar Creating Vision, an eye health initiative that treats visually impaired children in India and Bangladesh
DOHA, Qatar – Qatar Airways welcomed Orbis Flying Eye Hospital to Doha today with an official reception at Doha International Airport (DIA) attended by His Excellency Mr. Ajay Sharma, British Ambassador to the State of Qatar, His Excellency Mr. Ashud Ahmed, Bangladeshi Ambassador to the State of Qatar and Executive Director of Qatar Fund for Development Mr. Misfir Hamad Al-Shahwani, alongside other dignitaries and special guests. A welcome speech was delivered by Hamad International Airport Vice President Commercial and Marketing, Mr. Abdulaziz Al Mass.
The aircraft, a medical training facility housed within a MD-10 aircraft, will be on display until 29 March as part of a tour to raise awareness about preventable blindness and its impact on developing countries. The plane, which touched down in London and Ireland over the last few weeks, will offer students, medical professionals and partners a unique experience - the opportunity to explore the ‘hospital with wings’. While in Doha, the Flying Eye Hospital will be promoting Qatar Creating Vision, an eye health initiative that brings together three charities and 19 hospitals with the aim of providing 5.5 million child eye tests and treatments to children in India and Bangladesh before 2020.
Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker said: “Qatar Airways strongly believes in giving back to the global community. When you have the power to contribute towards making a difference, it is your obligation to do so. As an airline that connects communities and people around the world, we are delighted to have supported Orbis since 2012. We are proud to host the Flying Eye Hospital, and its arrival is a great way to draw attention to the work of Qatar Creating Vision. The initiative is highly commendable, helping give visually impaired children the chance to see again by providing them access to much-needed eye care.”
His Excellency Mr. Khalifa bin Jassim Al Kuwari, Director General, Qatar Fund for Development commented: “Qatar has a longstanding commitment to driving a wide range of initiatives to strengthen healthcare provision both in Qatar and throughout the world. Many people take vision for granted and don’t realise how significant eye problems can be, particularly for children in the developing world. Half of childhood vision loss can be prevented or cured, so there is much that we can do to improve access to eye care, which everyone deserves.”
“We are delighted that Qatar Creating Vision is proving to be a platform for NGOs, corporates and the community at large to get involved and help us provide children with a future not constricted or disrupted by a preventable blinding condition.”
Dr. Robert Walters, Orbis Special Envoy to the Middle East said: “Through partnerships, we can change lives, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker for his generosity through the years and the State of Qatar - in particular, the Qatar Fund for Development - for enabling us to provide a clearer and brighter future for children by bringing eye care closer to home.”
As a charity, Orbis trains eye care teams across the world by providing medical professionals with enhanced skills enabling them to treat people struggling with treatable blindness within their community. Orbis places a great deal of emphasis on the benefits of working as part of a team to bring about change.”
Notes to Editors:
For images please visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/qatarairways/albums/72157681613878966
About Qatar Airways
Qatar Airways, the national carrier of the State of Qatar is celebrating 20 years of Going Places Together with travellers across its more than 150 business and leisure destinations. The world’s fast growing airline will add a number of exciting new destinations to its growing network in 2017, including Auckland, Chiang Mai, Dublin, Nice, Skopje and many more, flying passengers on board its modern fleet of 195 aircraft.
A multiple award-winning airline, Qatar Airways was awarded World's Best Business Class; Best Business Class Airline Lounge and Best Airline Staff Service in the Middle East at the prestigious 2016 World Airline Awards managed by international air transport rating organisation Skytrax.
Qatar Airways is a member of the oneworld global alliance. The award-winning alliance was named the World’s Best Airline Alliance 2015 by Skytrax for the third year running. Qatar Airways was the first Gulf carrier to join global airline alliance, oneworld, enabling its passengers to benefit from more than 1,000 airports in more than 150 countries, with 14,250 daily departures.
Oryx One, Qatar Airways’ in-flight entertainment system offers passengers up to 3,000 entertainment options from the latest blockbuster movies, TV box sets, music, games and much more. Passengers flying on Qatar Airways flights served by its B787, A350, A380, A319 and select A320 and A330 aircraft can also stay in touch with their friends and family around the world by using the award-winning airline’s on-board Wi-Fi and GSM service.
Qatar Airways proudly supports a range of exciting international and local initiatives dedicated to enriching the global community that it serves. Qatar Airways sponsors world-leading sports teams including FC Barcelona and Al-Ahli Saudi Arabia FC reflecting the values of sports as a means of bringing people together, something at the core of the airline’s own brand message – Going Places Together.
For further information contact:
Qatar Airways Group, Corporate Communications Department
Tel: +974 4022 2200, Fax: +974 40225350
Visit our homepage www.qatarairways.com or our sites on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, and YouTube.
For Qatar Airways corporate images, please click here: http://www.qatarairways.com/corporateimages
About Qatar Creating Vision:
• Qatar Creating Vision is a brand new initiative, established this year, that will provide 5.5 million eye screenings and treatments to children in India and Bangladesh over the next four years.
• The initiative is implemented by charity partners Orbis, Sightsavers, BRAC, and 19 local hospitals, who will expand the services of 11 paediatric eye centres in India and 8 in Bangladesh.
• The charities will work in schools to screen children and provide glasses to those who cannot see the blackboard and educate communities about the signs of blindness and how to respond should they experience symptoms.
• Qatar Creating Vision will get children back to school and on their way to a future full of possibilities.
• Qatar Creating Vision is Social – follow them on Twitter: @QCV_Sight, Facebook: www.facebook.com/qatarcreatingvision and Instagram: @qatarcreatingvision
For further information please contact Qatar Creating Vision Communications Manager, Natasha Lee: firstname.lastname@example.org +447889 384 959